My sermon notes for Sunday, Nov 24th as we continue our study through WHY SHARE THE GOSPEL. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help follow as we walk through the Word each week. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Why Share the Gospel – The Outcome
BECAUSE OF THE POWER OF THE OUTCOME!!!!
THE GOSPEL CHANGES LIVES.
Matt 4::18-22 and Matthew 28:18-20
The message. Elements that make the Gospel the Gospel. (from last week)
- God is sovereign creator of all things.
- God created you for His glory.
- God is holy and righteous
- Man is sinful
- God is just and is right to punish.
- God is merciful. He is kind to undeserving sinners.
- Jesus is God’s holy and righteous Son
- God put the punishment of sinners on Jesus
- God offers the free gift of salvation to those who repent and place their faith in Jesus.
- Those who trust in Jesus will live to please Him and receive the promise of (enjoying God forever in heaven)
As we proclaim THE GOSPEL. (remember the power is in the message, not the method or the messenger) there is a remarkable outcome… PEOPLE ARE BORN AGAIN!!!!!!
- born again/saved/become a Christian.
- They become a disciple of the LORD JESUS CHRIST.
The Outcome of the Gospel: Titus 2:11-15
Saving, Training and Waiting…as a result of the power of the Gospel
Titus 2:11-15 –  For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,  training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,  waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,  who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.
 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you. (ESV)
Saving– v. 11
The grace of God
- God’s gift of salvation to those we can and will believe.
- God’s riches at Christ expense. God’s unmerited favor.
- Ephesians 2:8–10 –  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (ESV)
- 1 Peter 1:13 – Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (ESV)
Terms relating to salvation:
- Election – God’s plan in regards to people & salvation
- Regeneration – Being born again. The Spirit opening our eyes and heart.
- Conversion – Faith and repentance. When one believes and trusts in the Gospel.
- Justification – Right legal standing. When we are declared right and forgiven.
- Adoption – Membership in God’s family. When we become His.
- Sanctification – Right standing that leads to a progressive changing life of rightness. Life of Christlikeness.
- Perseverance – Remaining a Christian. Keeping on.
To all mankind.
- Jews and Gentiles. All humanity. Worldwide
- Not – everyone will be saved.
- Not – God is hoping you will get saved.
- Yes – Worldwide offer.
- election is the “whosoever” Those that can and will respond in saving faith.
- Those written in the Lambs book of life.
- From the foundation of time
- Ephesians 1:3–5 –  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,  even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love  he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, (ESV)
- Election is God’s work. Our response indicates that God has been at work.
- When we pray for the lost…We pray “God save them… God open their eyes”
- So, who can be saved? Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord through repentance and faith.
Training – v. 12
- Training – refers to raising a child. Discipline and Encouragement.
- Our sanctification. Growing in holiness
- There is a:
- Starting point… Process… Continuation
- The work of the Spirit within those that are “new creations”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17–18 –  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.  All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; (ESV)
Renounce – What we do not do anymore.
- Ungodliness and worldly passion
Live – What we do. Our “works” and “fruit”
- Self-controlled, upright, and godly
- Eph 2:10 – For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them
REMEMBER… that is what the Holy Spirit’s role and ministry is to grow us into Christlikeness.
- GROWING AND CHANGING
- Putting off and Putting on
Waiting – v. 13-14
Waiting – Continuing on IN THE FAITH
- Eagerly awaiting
- Joy, purpose, meaning
Blessed Hope – the Lord’s coming
- Or our going… whichever is first.
As we wait, we should and can rejoice in our salvation. v. 14
- Redeemed us
- Adopted us into the family
- Empowers us.