My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Sept 19th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube
- Over the past couple of weeks we have looked at THE GOSPEL
- Believing in the Gospel
- Living out the Gospel
- This week – Sharing the Gospel
- If you have truly received the good news and are growing in the good news then naturally we should be people that will share the good news.
A Definition of Evangelism
David Bosch– “Evangelism is the proclamation of salvation in Christ to those who do not believe in him, calling them to repentance and conversion, announcing forgiveness of sins, and inviting them to become living members of Christ’s earthly community and to begin a life of service to others in the power of the Holy Spirit.”
– from Transforming Mission, p. 11.
The Goal of Evangelism
- Making disciples (Matt. 28:18-20). A disciple is someone who has accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord, that is growing daily in their relationship with Him, and is serving Him by their involvement and ministry within the fellowship of His Church.
We should know this to be true… but so few live this way. WHY?
- Fear, Forgetfulness, OR FIRE (Passion)
Two aspects of faithful evangelism
1 Cor. 2:1-5
Proclamation – THE MESSAGE
1 Cor. 2:1-5 – And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
When I came to you
- He was on mission
- To announce, make known
Testimony of God
- God’s plan for redemption
- Not our wisdom or methods
I know nothing except Jesus Christ and Him crucified
- He understood who He was in Christ… He embraced his conversion!
Demonstration of the Spirit and of power
- Trusted the power of the Gospel Rom. 1:16
- Not an emotions encounter, but an encounter with GOD
2 Cor. 5:11-21
Persuasion: – The MISSION
2 Cor. 5:11-21 11 Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience. 12 We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. 13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 15 and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.
16 From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Knowing the fear of the Lord – v. 11
- Paul’s motivation
- His love for the Lord. He lived his life as an act of worship.
Persuade others – v. 11
- To win the favor of others
It is for God. It is for you – v. 13
- Love God…Love others.
The love of Christ controls us – v. 14
- HIS LOVE compels.
- Is the pressure that moves us (water pressure)
Those that live should not live for themselves, but for Him – v. 15
- We believe in the Gospel/Lordship of Christ…HIS LORDSHIP
- His rule and reign over our life
Not according to the flesh – v. 16
- We see people differently
- We see people redemptively
If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation – v. 17
- IN CHRIST
- From Dead to Alive
Given us the ministry of reconciliation – vv. 18-19
- The same message that saved us.
- We have been saved to share.
We are ambassadors for Christ – v. 20
- We represent HIM. KING JESUS
God’s appeal through us – v. 20
- His message through my life
- Living my life for HIS GLORY
We implore you – v. 20
- Our life so driven and focused.
- My life making disciples!
- Trust in the Power of the Gospel
Sharing our Faith / Evangelism should naturally flow out of our life and the ministries of our church. It is not a program, but a way of life. IT SHOULD BE WHO WE ARE AND HOW WE LIVE!