My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Jan 22nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- The ministry of John the Baptist
- Preparing the way for Christ
- The need to of the people… repentance
The Man- vv. 1-2
- God’s perfect timing (A.D. 28/29)
- 400 years since the last prophetic voice
- Rulers/Leaders listed, but notice that a faithful servant was given the Word.
- Matthew 3:4 – Camel hair and leather belt
- 2 Kings 1:8 – A picture of Elijah (Malachi 4:5)
The Message – vv. 3-14
The Content – vv. 3-6
- At the Jordan
- Earlier, Israel was baptized as the crossed over to take the physical kingdom.
- Now, they are returning to be baptized for the spiritual kingdom.
- Baptism of repentance
- From the OT purification (Cleansing/Renewal)
- Pointing forward (IT IS COMING)
- Today… points to a new life (NOW)
- A sorrow that leads to change
- From – To
- As it is written
- Isaiah 40:1-5
- Make straight.
- Doing all that is necessary for the coming KING.
The audience – vv. 7-9
- Brood of Vipers
- Snakes coming out of a burning field.
- Bear fruit worthy of repentance
- Called to be the people of God, but you are living differently.
- Ax – judgement is coming.
The response – 10-14
- What shall we do?
- LIVE DIFFERENTLY
- LIVE RIGHT
The Mission – vv. 15-20
- He quicky clarifies that He is not the Christ
- He is merely pointing the way
- A mightier one is coming.
- Unworthy to tie sandals
- Sovereign King
- Baptize with Fire
- Judge. Purify
- Winnowing fork
- Gather & scatter
- Good news
- More than just judgment
- Savior that brings Good News
- Seek and to Save
- Give life and life more abundantly.