My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Nov.14th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 2:1–5 -  And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom.  For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling,  and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,  so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. (ESV
- The church in Corinth had lost their focus.
- They had begun to give more credit to the wisdom of man and the world rather than to God
- We too can lose our focus when it comes to our impact in our community and our growth as a church.
- How can we be faithful in our culture with the Gospel?
- Seeing our loved ones come to faith in Christ
- Seeing our community transformed by the power of the Gospel
- We must keep a close eye on the messenger and on the message we proclaim.
The Messenger of the Gospel
Actively serving the Lord
- Paul’s ministry in Corinth. Acts 18:1-11
Aware of our limitations
- In weakness – v. 3.
- Paul has physical issues.
- None of us are without limitations.
- God is not looking for perfection but availability
Walking closely with Lord
- In fear and trembling – v. 3
- The one aspect of our salvation that we have the most control is our SANCTIFICATION. OUR LIVING FOR CHRIST.
- Our spiritual disciplines. God’s grace gifts.
- Word, Prayer, Worship, Ministry
The Message of the Gospel
Not focused on our giftedness or ability
- Not with lofty speech or wisdom – v. 1
- Not in the words or ability of the messenger
- Plausible words of wisdom – v. 4
- THINKING…The way is how to bring about salvation.
- The danger of an attractional ministry.
- The balance of meeting them where they are in order the share the Gospel
Focused on the Cross
- Jesus Christ and Him crucified – v. 2 (the what)
- Crucified… the Gospel
- God is Holy
- Man is Sinful
- Jesus is the perfect redeemer
- We must receive the Gospel
Empowered by the Holy Spirit
- Demonstration of the Spirit – v. 4
- The proof of the power of the spirit is our conversion.
Here is a freeing thought… GOD DOES THE SAVING. I WILL NOT PREVENT SOMEONE FROM BEING SAVED NOR CAN I SAVE SOMEONE. Yet, my love for the Lord and for the lost should motivate me to share the truth of the Gospel… TO MAKE DISCIPLES.
I need to be an ambassador for Christ and an instrument of the Gospel.
When the messenger is on the same page as the message then we will see true God do glorious things.
So that your faith will not rest in the wisdom of men but the power of God. - v. 5