My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Jan. 2nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 3:10-17
- The church in Corinth has division within them.
- They were living as “carnal Christians.” Christians living in the flesh rather than the Spirit.
- Remember… the church is made up of people, so therefore the people of the church have lost their focus and direction.
- For us today… How can we apply this text?
- Living as true servants as Christ and not as carnal Christians. 3:1-9
- Building our life on the true foundation…The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- It is a New Year so how about a New You
Check Your Heart – v. 10
We need to pay close attention to our spiritual life.
- Examine yourself – 1 Cor 13:5
- Test every spirit – 1 John 1:4
Take Care how WE BUILD upon the Gospel
Have WE (I) trusted in the finished work of Christ?
- Am I saved?
- Do I have assurance?
Are we BUILDING (growing) in our faith?
- Daily changing and maturing into the likeness of Christ
Trust in the Gospel – v. 11
No one lay a foundation other than…Jesus Christ
There is no quick fix, no easy way out. No new way
Our present reality our future life. Our marriage, Our finances, Our health. Our families. Our Church
We keep looking for the answers in all the wrong places. The only hope is Christ.
Invest in the Holy – vv. 12-15
Our goals, ambitions and desires of life indicate our heart
- Holy and of the Lord
- Unholy and of the World
The fruits of our life will be made known
- Precious or Perishing
We should desire to stop living in the “fringe” areas and live IN THE HOLY!
- DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!!!!
Remember who we are – vv. 16-17
We are God’s Temple and God resides within us
- Set apart.
- Privileged to enter into His presence
- Individually and corporately.
- Our relationship is personal, yet we are part of a family
We should be different, because God is different
- 1 Peter 1:15-17 – but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am Holy.”
1 Corinthians 3:10–17
 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it.  For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.  If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.  If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?  If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. (ESV)