1 Corinthians 10:14-22
- 1 Cor. 10:12-13 – Take heed lest you fall…No temptation has overtaken you… God is faithful… He has provided a way
- The warning of idolatry
- The danger of idolatry
- The futility of idolatry
A quick review from last week…
They were loved
- My Beloved – v. 14
They were empowered
- Sensible People – v. 15
The Warning of Idolatry – v.14
Flee – v. 14
Idolatry – v. 14
The Danger of Idolatry – vv. 16-20
Consider the picture of the Lord’s Supper – vv. 16-20
We fellowship at the Lord’s table
- The Lord’s Supper
- His body…His Blood
We fellowship at another
- The table of Satan
The Futility of Idolatry – vv. 21-22
Futility of idolatry because of the hypocrisy of idolatry
You cannot worship both – 21
- Either one or the other
- Matt. 6:24 – Cannot serve two masters
God is a jealous God – v. 22
- He will have no competition
- Deut 4:24
- Exodus 34:14
Romans 1:18-32 – The condemnation of the unrighteous Gentiles
- Romans 1:24-25 – GOD GAVE THEM UP
- He removed the restraints.
- He allowed their sins to run their course
- Revelation 21:5-8 – Lake of fire
Are we stronger than He – v. 22
2 Questions to Consider:
Can we find what we are looking for in anything other that God?
- Are the objects of trust better?
- Do we think He cannot do what He promises?
- Our fulfillment, purpose, and meaning in life
Do we think we can get away with it?
- The danger of using God as a “token of religion”
- I am a Christian, but I am going to do what I want
- Do we really think God will allow such hypocrisy?