It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife.  And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.
 For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing.  When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus,  you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.
 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?  Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.  Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. (ESV)
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Feb. 13th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church Family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- It can seem hard at times to do what is right.
- Yet, not doing what is right… when it is right to do it… can have devastating results.
- The Church of Corinth was allowing sin within the camp.
- Paul knew the consequences. LOSS OF GOD’S PRESENCE AND BLESSING.
- Here is a great picture of TOUGH LOVE within the church.
The Problem – Ungodly behavior – vv.1-2
Sin by the person
- REMEMBER…this person is part of the body of Christ. They claim to be a Christian.
- The issue is not just the act… the issue is the heart of the person committing the act.
- The issue is not a matter of opinion… it is not judging someone. This person is living contrary to the precepts set forth by God Himself. Their sin is against God.
Sin tolerated within the Church
- Instead of grieving they are proud
- James 4:1-10 – Sin should always grieve us!
Among you – Are you arrogant
- By not saying anything…they are saying everything. THEY ARE ALLOWING IT.
We allow it by
- Not loving enough to care
- Not loving enough to teach & instruct
- Not loving enough to discipline (just like within a family)
The Solution – Address it Biblically- vv. 3-5
Create a culture
- IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO BE PROACTIVE.
- Have a life personally and corporately that is MOVING TOWARD MATURITY
- Start with the End in Mind. Our attitude becomes our culture.
- It becomes the culture of your family and church
- Biblical Communication – Matthew 18:15-20
When issues arise… then act accordingly
- Remove – Deliverer over to Satan
- Repent – If He is God’s…He will repent
- Restore – So that he can have “the joy of His salvation returned.” Ps. 51:12
Be Consistent. Be Patient. Be Loving
The Goal – God’s Blessing- vv. 6-8
God blesses a holy life. God blesses a holy church
- A little leaven
- silently, gradually, completely
- the man AND THE TOLERANCE WITHIN THE PEOPLE OF GOD
For Christ our sacrifice
- Christ has paid the price
- We are holy, Set apart
Put away the old… Malice and Evil
Put on the New… Sincerity and Truth
1 Peter 1:15-16 – But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
1 Peter 2:9 – But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Romans 6:22 – But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.
James 4:1–10 –  What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you?  You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.  You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.  You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.  Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?  But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”  Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (ESV)
Matthew 18:15–20 –  “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.  But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.  If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.  Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.  Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” (ESV)
 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
 Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit. (ESV)