My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 31st. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- Now concerning Spiritual gifts. v. 1
- The source of our gifts
- The power of our gifts
- The purpose of our gifts
- The results of our gifts
- Key words: Diversity, Unity, and Maturity
- Varieties – “allotments, distributions.
- Distributed in many forms
- There are a variety of gifts and ministries…yet one reason we are given these gifts.
- Glorify God and Build up His Church
GOD GIVES UNIQUE GIFTS TO EACH BELIEVER
Gifts – “gift of grace”
- Gifted to equip
- Gifted from God to build up others
List of Spiritual Gifts – 1 Cor. 12:8-10, Romans 12:6-8, 1 Peter 4:11
- Not meant to be an exhaustive list
- 1 Peter 4: 11 – “Speaking and Serving” are the 2 main categories
- Gifts are like a fingerprint… each one is different
- Each gift/person is unique
THESE GIFTS ENABLE US TO SERVE/MINISTER
Service – ministries, servants
- The doing of the Christian life
- The doing of the Church
- Gifts are the tools of ministry
We are gifted SO THAT we can change the world with Gospel. OUR PURPOSE!
- within the body of Christ. THE CHURCH
- and IMPACT THE WORLD.
- The basis of our everyday life
Mark 10:45 – JESUS… Not to be served, but to serve.
- Christian life is not about receiving
- It is about giving
- I am with you
- v. 6 – but the same Lord
EACH GIFT ACCOMPLISHES ITS DIVINE PURPOSE
Activities – “worked out, energized”
- The impact/results of using the gifts
- Gifts are given supernaturally and they are empowered supernaturally.
God empowers them ALL in EVERYONE
- God sovereignly empowers each one.
- God sovereignly empowers the results of these gifts
The emphasis on the Trinity
- Different gifts, service, and activities but it is God that is doing and causing the work
- Philippians 2:12–13 –  Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,  for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (ESV)
- The gifts are from God
- The administering the gifts are from God
- The energy and power to use the gifts are from God
- The impact of the gifts is from God
Manifestation of the Spirit
- Make known, clear, evident
- SHOWING THE SPIRIT
For the common good
- Bring together
- Mutually beneficial
Ephesians 4:10–12 –  He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)  And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,  to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, (ESV)