My sermon notes for Sunday morning, May 21st. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- Wrong way – Critical of others. Finding fault. Harsh. Acting like the judge, jury, and executioner.
- Right way – Discerning the choices of other people. Do their “fruits” align with Scripture?
- The Word of God is the test. The Bible
- Those without Christ are going to act like those that are without Christ. They do what they do because they have not been BORN AGAIN. So therefore, we cannot expect them to live like a FOLLOWER OF CHRIST. AS SOMEONE THAT CLAIMS THEY ARE IN A RIGHT RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. John 14:6
- We ARE to be sensitive to the spiritual condition of other believers. Those that are under the accountability of the household of faith.
- 1 Corinthians 5:1-13 – Sexual immorality in the church.
- 1 Timothy 5:20 – Those who persist in sin.
- James 5:19-20 – Bring back those who wander James 2:14-15
- Remember, we are not FIXING… WE ARE RESTORING. Our desire should be to HELP others. Galatians 6:1-2
We reap what we sow – vv. 37-38
- Judge not… you will not
- Forgive… and you will be
- Give… and it will be
Matthew 18:21-35 – Parable of unforgiving servant.
As we seek the well-being of others… GOD WILL BLESS US!!!!
- Good measure – not meagerly
- Pressed down – filling all the space
- Shaken together – settled and completely full
- Running over – more than expected.
Who we follow impacts who follows us – vv. 39-40
- Can a blind man lead a blind man? The blind leading the blind.
- A lesson on followship. (Discernment is crucial)
- Fully trained will be like His teacher.
- Jesus was the perfect example of proper judgment, forgiving, and giving.
- What type of example are we giving for others to follow.
- As a pastor, do my messages match my example? As a church, where are we leading people?
- How readily will someone follow the example of an obedient life? Think of the impact.
I need to focus on me first – vv. 41-42
- I need to focus on me before I focus on others.
- We should be willing to look within our own heart
- Word, Prayer…with the intent to discover.
The What Now
- We should be able to look into the life of others within the sphere of influence. (Family, Church)
- Yet, the goal should be their joy in living faithfully for Christ. Their restoration of fellowship is the issue.
- Be slow to judge, yet quick to show compassion, kindness and mercy.
- Check YOUR heart often!
- Be bold (Fear God and not Man Galatians 1:10), Care enough to speak THE TRUTH IN LOVE Ephesians 4:11-16, Live out the Fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23