My sermon notes for Sunday Morning, Oct. 24th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 1:10–17 -  I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.  For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers.  What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.”  Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?  I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,  so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.  (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)  For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. (ESV)
- No church is perfect, but that is not an excuse not to be blameless. Phil. 2:12-16 (from Wed night)
- Word has come to Paul that there are divisions within the church.
- We live in a fallen world full of fallen people. Even within the church it is so easy to get off course. THE KEY IS FOCUS!
The Plea – Unity/Focus – v. 10
I appeal by the name of Jesus
- to call upon someone to listen and do
- He could make this appeal…because he trusted in their salvation (vv. 1-9). By the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
That you agree
- To speak the same thing
There would be no division
- separated, not on the same side
United in the same mind and judgment
- That you would be perfectly joined together – like a net
The Problem – Division/Lack of Focus – vv. 11-12
Quarrelling among you, my brothers
- disagreements, divisions, not perfectly joined.
- Improper focus
- Me, me, me (not about us!)
- People rather than the Lord
The Solution – Keep focused on The Gospel – vv. 13-17
Is Christ divided?
- Focus on what is essential
- Focus off self… Focus on Christ
We should strive for unity in our belief
- On the essentials/absolutes to the faith – We need passion, conviction, and a non-compromising stance.
- On the non-essentials – passion, conviction, yet openness and understanding.
- In all things – love
- Theological Triage – Dr. Al Mohler – https://pastorjonbeck.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/theological-triage.pdf
We should strive toward unity in our passion and purpose
- Not people (Paul or Apollos)
- But Christ and His Church
- To preach the Gospel. Paul’s concern was the passionate, accurate, authoritative preaching to the Gospel.