My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 28th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 13:4–5 – “What love is and what love is not” part 1
- Agape Love… love in action
- Not feeling love, but doing love
- What love does & What love does not do
- Paul is painting a portrait of love, and Jesus Christ is sitting for the portrait. He lived out in perfection all of these virtues of love. This beautiful picture of love is a portrait of Him. (John MacArthur- 1 Corinthians Commentary)
- Remember the context. Spiritual gifts within the life of the church
- Our relationship with others is a direct reflection of our relationship with God.
Love is Patient
- Long suffering as relating to people
- Long suffering as opposed to hasty anger
- Willing continue to TAKE from others
- Enduring through others not loving us
- Willing to embrace others and their short comings
- 2 Peter 3:9 – God’s patience toward us.
Love is Kind
- Kindness is the counterpart of patience
- Willing to help and assist
- Will continue to GIVE to others
- 1 Peter 2:2-3 – Tasted the kindness of the Lord
Love does not Envy
- To want what others have (jealousy)
- To wish others did not have
- Desiring the gifts of others
- Lack of contentment. Satisfied
- Phil 4:11-13 – I am to be content
Love does not Boast
- Opposite of jealousy… I want others to want what I have
- Heap praise on self
Love is not Arrogant
- Puffed up and parading around (prideful)
- My gifts are more and do more.
- Exaggerated self-conception
- What do I have to be prideful about?
- Sinner saved by grace
- Phil 2:6-8
Love is not Rude
- Acting rude to others
- Unbecoming, indecent
- My life does one or two things….BUILD UP OR TEAR DOWN!
Galatians 5:16–24 -  But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.  For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.  Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,  idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,  envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (ESV)