My sermon notes for Sunday morning, March 13th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- The Word this morning is dealing with Christian Freedom.
- How free are we as believers?
- Another component of the text is the idea of our sanctification. Christians should grow and mature in their KNOWLEDGE of the Lord and in their CHARACTER for the Lord.
- What are we free to do? What does scripture teach?
- Just because it is acceptable in society… is is acceptable for a Christian?
- What should we do? If scripture us silent…then what?
- Verses 12 & 20 are the bookends of the text. We have freedom to live our life, yet we are to glorify God with that freedom. We could also say that our freedom is what prevents us from giving God the glorify that He does deserve.
A refresher – 1 Cor. 6:9-11
There has been a SPIRITUAL TRANSFORMATION
- We are washed – a new life
- We are sanctified – a new behavior
- We are justified – a new standing
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ & by the Spirit of God.
Understanding the TRANSFORMATION THAT HAS TAKEN PLACE, THEN WE CAN APPLY THE FOLLOWING TRUTHS TO OUR LIFE.
All Things are Lawful
We do have freedom
- Our sins have been forgiven (we are justified)
- Outside of Scripture I am free to live my life and embrace the freedom that I have as a Christian.
We can do as we wish, but it does come with a cost
Not all Things are Helpful
- Worthwhile, advisable, profitable
Here is where the rubber hits the road.
- I CAN DO… BUT SHOULD I
- Here is where wisdom and maturity take hold.
- Good, Better, Best
- 1 Timothy 3:2 – Elder. Above reproach
I Should Not be Dominated by Anything
- Enslaved, mastered
Romans 6:1-4; 12-14 (Let no sin reign) - 1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life….12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. 13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. 14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.
The problem is allowing a God given desire to take hold of us.
- When the GOOD takes place of the BEST
- Our focus
- TIME, TALENT, TREASURES
- So many examples.
- Job, family, children, success
Our Bodies are Temples of the Holy Spirit
DO YOU NOT KNOW (remember, consider)
We are Temples of the Holy Spirit
- Your bodies are members of Christ v.15
- When are saved, we become one with Christ
- Eph. 1:1-14
- We are joined with Christ v. 17
- We are not our own
You were Bought with a Price – So glorify God with your body
You were washed
You were sanctified
You were justified