- Paul is asked about food offered to idols
- one portion sacrificed, second given to person…Third to priest.
- What priest did not use was sold in the market. It was cheaper than the typical meat market.
- It was causing some Christians to question the practices of others.
- CAN WE EAT FOOD OFFERED TO IDOLS?
- What about us today? What is our “food sacrificed to idols?”
- When something is not explicitly dealt with in scripture.
- Things I have encountered over the years… Alcohol, lottery, non-Christian music, movies, Sunday activities…etc.
- How can we determine our freedom?
Understand Knowledge and Love
Knowledge is important. Paul is constantly encouraging the church to grow in their knowledge and understanding of the things of God. We cannot believe that which we do not know.
- Knowledge/Facts are very important… but WISDOM IS CRUCIAL
- Knowledge alone puffs up. Knowledge must be followed by practice. (To Know and Love)
Love is a verb. If we know God we will love God and love others. We will stop looking so selfishly at our life and begin to look at others.
Col. 1:9 – exhorted to grow in knowledge (DOCTRINE)
1 John 4:19-21 – exhorted to love. (UNITY)
They are not enemies of one another
- True Knowledge will lead to True Love
- True Love will lead to True Knowledge
I have noticed over the years that we typically lean more one way or the other… and have a hard time understanding why others do not see things the way we do.
- Just love people like Jesus did
- Get doctrine right like Paul did
Do Not Live in the Extremes
Legalism – WHAT I HAVE TO DO
- What we do or do not do.
- No gray area…black or white based on our understanding. We take the gray out for you.
License – WHAT I AM FREE TO DO
- Freedom to do whatever, as long as not scriptural issue.
- We can do anything. It’s all good!
- Danger of turning everything gray. Did God really say that?
Examine the Issue Theologically & Biblically
Is it biblical…is it addressed in scripture
- The weak – lack of knowledge and understanding
- Proof texting verse the big theological picture
Check Your Motives
WHY – THIS IS CRUCIAL.
- I KNOW YOU CAN, BUT WHY DO YOU WANT TO
- Why do I want to do it
- Selfless love?
Consider Your Witness
Will it build up or cause to others to stumble.
- Am I doing this to fulfill the Great Commission or am I doing this for myself?
Continue to Grow in Your Faith
We are never there yet, we continue to mature in our faith
v. 12 – “you sin against Christ”
- Strive to move from weaker to stronger in our faith. WE NEED TO GROW IN KNOWLEDGE AND LOVE
- Grow as a weaker brother
- Come alongside the weaker brother. OTHERS NEED TO GROW IN KNOWLEDGE AND LOVE
One thought on “1 Corinthians 8:1-13 – “Our Christian Liberties””