My sermon notes for Sunday night, Feb. 2nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
2 Timothy 1:8–18
What it takes to be faithful
Keys to being faithful in an unfaithful world.
- Individually and Corporately
A plea to remain faithful for the sake for the Gospel
Do not be ashamed- v. 8a
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner,
- Of the Gospel
- Of the messenger of the Gospel
Expect suffering – 8b
but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,
- But Share – we are in this together. We are not alone.
- For the Gospel – Is has a purpose
- By the power of God – suffering is part of God’s will.
Remember your salvation/Your calling – vv. 9-10
 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,  and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel
- Saved us – SAVIOR
- Called us – LORD
- To a Holy calling – set apart
WHAT DOES THIS LOOK LIKE
- THE FLOW OF OUR SALVATION
- Not according to works
- According to Grace
- The means to carry out the purpose.
- Before the ages began – Now manifested through our Savior Jesus Christ
- for all eternity
- abolished death, brought to life, and immortality
- to life through the Gospel
Embrace your ministry/responsibility – vv. 11-12a
 for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher,  which is why I suffer as I do.
Preacher – proclaimer/herald. Public exhortation. Not his words.. BUT HIS WORDS
Apostle – authority. Today the Bible is our authority.
Teacher – conveying is such a way that knowledge is gained. Instruct with a purpose…to develop and encourage learning.
Proclaiming with authority the words that can bring about change.
- From head to heart.
- Easier to share Words. Lecture and Share knowledge. Much more challenging to make disciples.