Acts 13:1-3 – Life Together
Believing, Sending, and Going
My sermon notes for Sunday, Oct 28th Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Acts 13:1–3 –  Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen a lifelong friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.  While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”  Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off. (ESV)
Big Idea: As we do “ life together” we will remember and embrace our calling, purpose and mission. Live out and share the message of redemption. (The Gospel making things right.)
The church of Acts got it. They were the launching pad of the missionary movement. The BELIEVED IT and truly LIVED IT OUT.
A Christian People v. 1
- Preaching the GOSPEL…THE TRUE MESSAGE
- Responded in faith and repentance
- Continued steadfast in the faith…knowing and growing (no separation in scripture)
- We have created a separation
- FIRST CALLED CHRISTIAN
A Consecrated People v.2
WHILE…part of who they were…the activity lead to the outcome.
- Worship/Dedication…serving…priestly service – THE ACTION
Ephesians 2:8–10 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (ESV)
- Good Works. Are a result of a living a life with God.
- Fruits of our salvation.
- Because we bear His image. Because we are clothed with Christ’s righteousness.
- Fasting – THE PASSION. Dedication played out.
- Seeking after Him.
- Desire – to know Him.
- Attitude – seek His will
- (what you talk with you children about once they become adults. The things of God over the activities of the family.)
- Seeking after Him.
A Commissioning People v. 3
- Fasting and praying…devotion and dependence
- Sending – A dedication to the things of the Lord. PURPOSE, MISSION
- let them go…a launching pad.
- Understands their community/culture
- Loves the people of their community/culture
- Proclaims the Gospel to their community/culture
- Lives for the Glory of God within their community/culture
Missional: – The adjective
A church that acts like a missionary in their community/culture.
KNOW, GROW, GO, LIVE, SHARE, LOVE
INVEST, INFLUENCE, INVITE…F.T.G.O.G