Biblical Separation 2 Cor 6:14-7:1
2 Cor. 6:14-7:1 – The Command
- Do not be unequally yoked – vv.14-16 (Deut. 22:10)
- Come out from amongst them – vv.17-18 (Is. 52:11, 2 Sam. 7:14)
- Cleanse yourselves and perfect holiness – v. 7:1
- Holiness is not an option. My work, my part in sanctification
- Of the flesh and spirit. External & internal.
- It is a joyful work in progress
- Completing what has already been started
- I do so out of fear, love, and respect of the Lord
- Do they drag you down or do you pick them up?
- Do they respect who you are in Christ?
- What is the purpose of your fellowship… to see them know & grow in the Lord?
- Why do I want to be here?
- Will this affect my influence and witness?
- Can I be a faithful witness? Will I be tempted to sin?
- Will it cause others to stumble? Will it undermine biblical truth?
BROAD TO NARROW APPROACH
- Meeting a need within our community
- Outside the confines of the local church body.
- Working with govt, other faiths/religion, civic organizations.
- Meeting needs. Giving out food, water, clothing
- Churches coming together for ministry purposes
- People we believe are going to heaven. If we are going to heaven with them, then we need to figure out how to work with them. Absolutes must be agreed upon
- With careful hesitation (not at first, but willing to listen and pray about it)
- Why am I a Baptist and not Methodist or Presby. or Pentecostal. Because I believe we are true to scripture.
- Within the walls of the church. Teaching/Preaching
- VERY careful consideration. More no than yes.
- Social, Political… no
- Like minded, (absolutes and core convictions are non-negotiable)
- I am intentional about preaching material and invitation. WHAT IS SAID AND HOW IT IS SAID.
Things to think about:
- Not everyone will have the same convictions. (But you biblical convictions….why you believe what you believe)
- They key is understanding what God’s Word teaches on a given subject. That is why it is so important to have a Biblical theology. Allow all of God’s Word to teach and instruct, not just an occasional verse or two.
- As we grow in our knowledge…there is a danger of becoming abrasive and arrogant. Even though we may be right we still need to learn the best approach (speak the truth in love). I try to teach in such away that people are drawn to God’s Word not pushed away from my attitude and opinion. The deeper we grow in our own knowledge the more of an influence we should become. Sadly, though the opposite takes place.
What I try to live by:
I need to meet people where they are and invest my life in them without compromising truth or my sanctification. With the ultimate goal being that their eyes would be opened in the same way mine were.