My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Nov 23rd as we walk through the book of Deuteronomy. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- HEAR, O ISRAEL
- The Shema – 6:1-9 (Hear, Love, Teach, Talk, Bind, Write)
- In this section the emphasis is on…ONCE YOU GET IN THE LAND. LIVING OUT THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH YAHWEH.
- Living out their love for Him – Their devotion unto Him
- LIVING LIKE THERE IS NO OTHER GOD!!!
WHEN the Lord brings you into the Land – vv. 10-11
- He is going to do it.
- He DID DO IT.
TAKE CARE LEST YOU FORGET – vv. 12-19
Forget what? (the Lord our God the Lord is one)
- Forget who God is. – What He has done. – What He will continue to do.
How God’s people are to live. – v. 13
- Fear the Lord – Reverence, Submission
- Serve the Lord – Obedience/Worship/Follow
- Honor His name – Our words.
How God’s people are not to live – v. 14
- Do not walk after other Gods
- Loyal devotion to YAHWEH
Because God is a jealous God – v. 15
- (Passionate) God is not jealous of us, BUT JEALOUS FOR US.
- WILL NOT SHARE HIS LOVE WITH ANOTHER
DO NOT TEST, BUT TRUST – vv. 16-19
Genuinely believe – diligently keep – v. 17
- Believe His Word and Trust in His Word
Faithfully Keep – Do what is right and good – v. 18a
- In sight of the Lord
Joyfully Trust – vv. 18b-19
- Blesses those that are His – that it may go well with you
- Judges those that are His enemies – thrusting out enemies
CONTINUE TO PASS ALONG – vv. 20-25
When your sons ask what the meaning is – v. 20
Then you shall tell him – vv. 21-23
- KEEP THE TRUTH GOING…Do not deviate.
Where we were
- Their need of salvation – v. 21a
What God Did
- God’s deliverance – v. 21b
- God’s demonstration of power – v. 22
- Their possession– v. 23
- Brought out to give
- Egypt to the promise land.
- Bondage to prosperity
- Dead to alive
How God told us to live. – vv. 24-25 (summation)
- Do all these statues – v. 24a
- Hear, acknowledge, Do
- Fear the Lord our God – v. 24b
- He will bless us always – for our good always – v. 24c
- He will keep us – Preserve us alive
- It will be righteousness for us – v. 25 a
IF WE ARE CAREFUL TO DO ALL THIS COMMANDMENT BEFORE THE LORD OUR GOD, AS HE HAS COMMANDED US.
Once this was impossible, but now in Christ…and because of His righteousness… we can obey these commandments.
- We can be blessed
- We can live in the land
- We can truly trust
- We can pass them along