My sermon notes for Sunday, July 8th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
John 17:6–19 –  “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.  Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you.  For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.  I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.  All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them.  And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.  While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.  But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.  I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.  And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. (ESV)
John 17 – The priestly prayer
The greatest of prayers (Jesus High Priestly Prayer)
- For himself – vv. 1-5
- For His disciples – vv. 6-19
- For future believers – 20-26
Jesus prays for His disciples (notice… longer than His prayer for Himself. The love He has for His disciples.
His concern for the disciples, but confident in His Father – vv. 6-10
You gave them to me out of the world
- They are Yours – Ownership concept
- Given by the Father
What a tremendous truth… we are His.
From the foundation of the world… WE ARE HIS. WE HAVE BEEN HIS.
They believed your Word
- They embraced the truth. (the truth of who Jesus is, to the best of their ability)
- Who He was, Who sent Him, What He came to do, What that meant to them.
I am glorified in them.
All mine are yours and Yours are mine
- Believed the Word – (repentance and faith)
- Kept the Word – (trust, endurance, perseverance)
- Lived the Word – (living the life where Christ is glorified through OUR LIFE)
They gloried Him by their Faith, Knowledge, & Obedience
His request to the Father – vv. 11-19
Jesus knew He was leaving and that the disciples were staying.
- Jesus – Cross and Ascension
- Disciples – Filling and Going
Holy Father – only here in the NT.
- Holy – separateness
- Father – nearness
- God’s holiness as compared to the sinfulness of the World
- They are sent into the world, but the request is based on His holiness.
- 11 – He asked that they be kept “in your name”, and in v. 12 Jesus states that “He kept them” in His name. When the Spirit comes… they will be KEPT IN HIS NAME! (WE ARE KEPT IN HIS NAME)
They may be one
- As they are one. (The TRINITY) Disciples should be one
- In care and concern. In purpose and mission.
- A love Him and a love for one another. (Love God – Love others)
My joy may be fulfilled in them
- The closer Jesus got to the cross, the more he taught the idea of Joy. (One time previously 3:29, but 7 times in the farewell discourse 15:11; 16:20,21,22,24; 17:13)
- The world cannot give it. True joy is found only in the Father.
Kept from the evil one
- Jesus was sent. Disciples were sent. Sent on a mission.
- 6:13 – Keep us free from temptation
- We keep our eyes on Him and OUR MISSION. Not him and his mission.
- The key is staying CLOSE AND CLEAN. (close to the Lord and Holy in our life… free from sin)
- Sanctify them as you Send them
- in the truth…Your Word is truth
- As the Father sent the Son, So the Son has sent them.
- Set apart for a specific purpose and Word.
- Live, Go, Tell, Make