My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Dec 4th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
Luke 1:25-38 – The Divine Announcement
- The time is now.
- The redeemer has come.
- The birth announcement of Jesus Christ
Mary and Joseph – vv. 26-27
- Young and innocent
- God fearing (Joseph – Matthew 1:18-25)
- Not the capital…but a small town
- Nothing good comes from Nazareth John 1:46
- She was a young teen
- Zec was a priest serving the temple
- Unmarried, Virgin (sexually pure)
A great picture of God’s providence. He has kept His word. A Savior is to be born. All that the OT pointed too is coming to fulfillment.
Gabriel’s Greeting – vv. 28-29
- Zechariah had no personal greeting
- Highly Favored one
- God’s grace
- Divine favor
- Eph 1:6 – Blessed/Accepted in Beloved
- The Lord is with you! (emphatic)
- Mary was troubled and tried to discern
- Confused, WHY WOULD GOD FAVOR ME?
- Fear in the presence of the Lord
Gabriel’s Pronouncement -vv. 30-33
- Do not be afraid – v 30
- I come with blessing not judgement
- You have found favor with God – v. 30
- God’s sovereign grace… He chose her
- You will conceive in your womb and bear a son – v. 31
- You shall call His name Jesus – v. 31
- Greek for the Hebrew word Yeshua… Yahweh Saves
- He will be great – v. 31
- John the Baptist is great in the Lord’s sight
- JESUS IS GREAT!!!!!!
- Called the Son of the Most High – v. 32
- Given the throne of His Father – v. 32
- 2 Samuel 7:12-14
- Ps. 2:7-9
- Micah 4:7
- He will reign over the House of Jacob FOREVER – v. 33
- His kingdom there will be no end – v. 33
- Rev. 11:15
“with breathtaking brevity, in one vast, glorious revelation Gabriel succinctly summarized the entire ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ: His saving work, righteous life, deity, resurrection, ascension, glorious return, and kingdom rule.”John F. MacArthur Jr., Luke 1–5, MacArthur New Testament Commentary (Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2009), 48.
Mary’s Response – v. 34
- How will this be?
- Fair question
- She doubted yet trusted
Gabriel’s Explanation – vv. 35-37
- The Holy one will come upon you
- Spirit hovered at creation…now her at the birth (creation) and at our new birth (new creation)
- Power of the most high will overshadow you
- Surround (same usage as at the transfiguration)
- THEREFORE, the child will be called HOLY-the SON OF GOD
- Elizabeth is also conceived (by Zec.)
- NOTHING WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD
Mary’s Faith – v. 38
- I AM YOUR SERVANT OF THE LORD
- Just like Hannah with Samuel 1 Sam. 1:1-2:10
- Let it be according to your word