- The real meaning of Christmas. The coming of the redeemer.
- The angels announced
- The shepherds responded
- Pretty simple.
- Jesus came, lived, died, rose from the grave, reigns from heaven, and will one day come again.
- God has announced… How will we respond!
The Heavenly Announcement – vv. 8-14
The Meaning of His Birth
The glory of the Lord appeared
- Heavenly brightness
- A display of God’s presence
- Suddenly, Bright, Brings much fear
Good news of great joy
- Isa 40:9; 52:7; 61:1–2
For all people
- For all mankind.
- All that will believe
Savior who is Christ the Lord
- The wait is over
- Savior – Horn of Salvation 1:69-71
- Anointed King 1:32-33
- Reign forever
- Superior over all things
On earth peace
- Justification – no more separation and hostility.
Among those with whom He is pleased
- God came to man
- God’s mercy and grace extended to those who can and will believe.
The Shepherds Praise – vv. 15-21
The Reaction to His Birth
Let us go
They were satisfied – This was it!
- They Heard
- They Believed
- They Trusted
- They Saw
- They Shared (Made known)
- They Praised
The Shepherds returned
- Glorifying and Praising God
- For what they had heard
- For what they had seen
- The spirit of God touched their Mind and Heart
- It was personal
- It was life changing
 Go on up to a high mountain,
O Zion, herald of good news;
lift up your voice with strength,
O Jerusalem, herald of good news;
lift it up, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah,
“Behold your God!” (ESV)
 How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of him who brings good news,
who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness,
who publishes salvation,
who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.” (ESV)
 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor,
and the day of vengeance of our God;
to comfort all who mourn; (ESV)