My sermon notes for Sunday morning, April 2nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- At first everyone was in favor of Jesus and His ministry 4:15
- Then through Chp 5 we see the tension mounting.
- They were all about the works of God, but they apparently wanted God to work off their agenda. (Demons, paralytics, tax collectors were not part of their gameplan)
- The became hostile toward Christ and His message.
- The heart of the issue was them… the motivation of their hearts
- Ritualism, Legalism, and prideful hypocrisy (John MacArthur)
- Friday sunset to Saturday sunset
- Exodus 16:23 – Israel in wilderness gathering the manna
- For redeemed people (after being delivered from Egypt
- A sign between God and His people (covenant sign)
Jesus knew the Sabbath of the Old pointed to Himself
- Old Covenant rest points to the New Covenant Rest
- Jesus was feeding on the Sabbath (Ultimate fulfillment)
- Jesus heals on the Sabbath (Ultimate healing)
Book of Hebrews
- Jesus is better than angels, prophets, priesthood
- Hebrews 3:7-4:11
- Just as Israel received rest in the wilderness the Jewish recipients of Hebrews can enter a true rest found only in Jesus Christ
- NOT OBSERVE THE SABBATH, BUT ENTER THE SABBATH REST
Further Reading on the Sabbath – The Sabbath and Its Relation to Christ and the Church in the New Covenant
- Rest and Worship was the original plan
- Current context was based on extrabiblical ritualism and regulations
- Hundreds upon hundreds of requirements
- They were watching (motive and heart ALL WRONG)
- Their hardness of heart Mark 3:5
- Question Jesus authority/identity
- Jesus is healing and teaching. Lives are being impacted and changed… AND THEY ARE WORRIED ABOUT THIS!!!!
- He responds from 1 Samuel 21:1-6 (David and priest)
- If a priest can then….JESUS CAN (THE SON OF GOD) CAN NOW!
- Matthew 12:6-8 – Someone greater than the temple is here. I desire mercy, not sacrifice… for the Son of man is lord of the Sabbath.
- Luke 6:5 – Lord of the Sabbath
- Mark 2:27 – Sabbath made for man, not man for the sabbath
TRUTHS TO CONSIDER
- It is all about Jesus, nothing more and nothing less
- Jesus is LORD
- We cannot let extra biblical convictions drive our ministry mindset
- Keep the Gospel the main thing
- Put our time and energy toward the Gospel
- Knowing Christ
- Growing in Christ
- Everything else is insignificant (like the Pharisees)