My sermon notes for Wednesday night, June 29th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- The balance of spiritual and practical leadership.
- We can be a Godly person, but not good at the doing of things
- We can be a practical hard worker and not be very spiritual
- In these verses we some good practical leadership skills.
- Nehemiah has a task to do, and he shows us how to get started.
- He is a great example of having a faith that results in works.
Realize the situation at hand – vv. 9-11
The problem was rebuilding the wall
- It was massive
- It had been attempted before
- There is intense opposition
It was big task, yet (remember) Nehemiah was a man of deep faith.
Develop a strategy to succeed – vv. 12-16
He went out on his own to see that city.
- “PRAYER PLANNING”
We have great ideas, but how is our follow through????
- Take the time necessary to think it through
- Pray it out… write it out
- Life is more than just an emotional decision, it takes planning
- Ideas are easy… the strategy is where we get bogged down
- Church life
- Home life
Learn to involve others – vv. 17-18
Leadership is followship
- Leadership is often about motivation
- Leadership is not just telling…
- I follow Jesus, others follow me, and etc.
The great commission… “make disciples”
- Disciples making disciples
- Christian people are people persons.
- Introvert or extrovert… we are about people.
I often see young men that love Jesus and the Bible, but struggle with people.
- A call to pastor is more than just teaching… it is a call the SHEPHERD people.
Expect opposition to come – v. 19
They jeered and despised them
- Yet, it was not them but the Lord’s purpose and plan
- The world is not opposed to us… they are opposed to God
Remember that it is ultimately a work of God – v. 20
“The God of heaven will make us prosper, and we his servants will arise and build…”