My sermon notes for Wednesday night, Sept 7th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
Nehemiah 9:6-31 – “The Prayer for True Revival”
- The wall is finished.
- Now Nehemiah prepares the people to succeed
- Chapters 8–13 is the preparation of the spiritual people
- A spiritual revival – A Nation/People set apart for God
- Nehemiah continues to encourage REVIVAL within the people.
- They acknowledged God for who He was, what He had done, and what He will continue to do.
Acknowledge God for who He is– v. 6
- God of Creation
- In the beginning God created – Gen. 1:1
- You are God alone…You made
Acknowledge God for what He has done – vv. 7-30
- Forming the nation
- Preparing the people
- Moses/Egypt – vv. 7-8
- Deliverance – vv. 9—15
- Disobedience – vv. 16-18
- Preparation – vv. 19- 22
- Occupation – vv. 23-25
- The cycle of sin – vv. 26-30
- Spiritual laziness
- Lose our focus
- Mission amnesia
Acknowledge God for what He will continue to do – vv. 31-38
- Now therefore
- In the present, Now, TODAY
- Our God, great, mighty, awesome
- YET – v. 33
- In their sin… God has been righteous
- It is on us. We deserve your judgment – vv. 34-37
- Therefore we repent – v. 38
- Make a firm covenant (agreement)
- Names… it is personal.
- v. 17 – But you are a God ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and did not forsake them
2 Chronicles 7:13–15 When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people,  if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.  Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. (ESV)