My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Sept. 22nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wednesday evening at TAB YouTube
A CALL FOR UNITY
Philippians 2:1–4 –  So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy,  complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.  Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (ESV)
- You could consider this section (1:27-2:18) the heart of the letter to the church at Philippi.
- vv. 2:1-4 is the second of four appeals.
- A call for unity
- Vv. 1:27-30 – Appeal 1 – A call to walk worthy of the Gospel
- Being unified as the people of God… SO THAT WE CAN REACH OUR COMMUNITY FOR CHRIST
4 RHETORICAL STATEMENTS– v. 1
- If there is any encouragement in Christ
- Comfort – not just to console, but to make strong.
- 2 Cor. 5:17 – In Christ
- Col. 1:27 – Christ in you
- Gal. 2:20 – Crucified with Christ. Christ lives in me
- John 15 – Abiding in Christ
- Comfort from Love
- His love toward us
- Our love toward others
- Participation in the Spirit
- Fellowship – Kononia – Spiritual fellowship
- Filled with the Spirit
- Abiding within us
- Affection and Sympathy
- His grace and mercy toward us
- Obviously, the answer is yes.
- If all this is possible in and through the Gospel.
- THEN… the appeal is made
THE GOAL IS UNITY – v. 2
IF (the answer is yes)…THEN make my joy complete
Be of the same mind
- Think the same way
- Believe the same way
- 1 Peter 3:8 – Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. (ESV)
Have the same love
- Servanthood love
Be in full accord
- Same passion and purpose
- Our understanding of who we are in Christ is FOUNDATIONAL for living out the Christians life.
- Daily reflecting upon and embracing the Gospel.
UNITY IS OBTAINED AS WE LOOK WITHIN– vv. 3-4
To be one is to have a proper view of self. (A reality check)
Do nothing from selfish ambition and conceit
- Our own desires and interest
Live in humility
- Me nothing. Me in Him… everything
Count other more significant than yours
- Our worth. Self-worth.
Look out for the interest of others
- What can I do for others?
- Having a proper view of self in light of the Gospel.
- LIVE LIKE JESUS WOULD LIVE
- REMEMBER, Paul loved the church in Philippi. They were a good church and church making an impact…
- BUT…He also knew what is was going to take if they were going to CONTINUE to make and impact for Christ.
- They need to be unified. TO LIVE IN UNITY.
- The key to unity is remember and living out who we are IN CHRIST
- Humility is the key. Me nothing. HIM and THEM everything.
- True humility is found in understanding grace.
- As we embrace and live out the Gospel, we are one with Christ but also one in passion and purpose as a Church.
- As I begin to see US as one then we can begin to really reach our community for Christ.