My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Dec. 8th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wednesday evening at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer Lists and other resources at our Church Website.
- We are going to take the next couple of weeks to unpack these verses.
- I want to start this week to consider the concept of being content.
“For I have learned in whatever situation I am in to be content”
- Satisfied. OK with what is going on.
- Not looking for something else and focusing on the now.
- Not grumbling or whining but living and praising.
When we are people who tend to live in discontentment, we are demonstrating the issues within our heart:
- Placing our wants before our needs.
- I desire this
- I deserve this
- We are demonstrating a small view of God
- Is God really God?
- Is He really in control (sovereign)?
- Does He really know what is best?
- Can I trust Him?
- We live with a small view of the future
- Everything is based on the present
- The now verses the future
Listen to yourself – Am I negative more than positive about life.
Listen to your prayers – What am I praying for?
- More needs or more praise.
We must get to the point that we begin to thank God for our circumstances and ask Him to use them to change us as we glorify Him.
Philippians 4:4–6 – Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (ESV)
Here is a great article on “Practicing Contentment”
Next week we look further at this text and consider:
- The Providence of God
- The Power of God
- The Provision of God