My notes for Wednesday night, Oct 25th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. Our study over the next few months will be “The Roots of the Faith.” This study will focus on key biblical truths that will transform our thinking and allow us to faithfully live out the Christian life. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
Resources for this Study
50 Core Truths of the Christian Faith – Gregg R. Allision
Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine – Wayne Grudem
Biblical Doctrine: A Systematic Summary of Bible Truth – John MacArthur & Richard Mayhue
Basic Christian Doctrines – Curt Daniel
The Deity of Christ
The Son of God is the Second Person of the Trinity, equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit. In the incarnation, he took on human nature and became the God-man, one person with two natures.
• The Son of God is the Second Person of the Trinity, sharing in the one divine nature.
• Being fully God, the Son is equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit in nature, power, and glory, but he is distinct from them in terms of his eternal relation and roles.
• Two thousand years ago, the eternal Son of God became incarnate, taking on a full human nature, and became the God-man, Jesus Christ.
• By the hypostatic union, he is both fully God and fully man, two natures united in one person.
• This classical Christology stands opposed to various heresies, both early and modern.
• The Son is worthy of worship, obedience, trust, and service.
- Mark 1:9-11; John 3:16
- Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; Hebrews 1:8
- John 10:30; Hebrews 1:3; Philippians 2:6
- Omnipresence – Matthew 28:20
- Omniscience – Matthew 26:20-25, 30-35
- Authority – Matthew 28:18
- Creating – John 1:3; Colossians 1:16
- Sustaining – Colossians 1:17
- Judging – John 5:22,27; Acts 17:31
- Forgiving sins -Mark 2:10
- Granting Eternal life – John 5:21; 10:28
- His Miracles – The “7 signs” in John’s Gospel.
 Gregg R. Allison, 50 Core Truths of the Christian Faith: A Guide to Understanding and Teaching Theology (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books: A Division of Baker Publishing Group, 2018), 147–148.