As we continue our journey through the book of Acts we discover Paul having to discern where to go (Acts 16:6-10). Should he remain in Asia or should he journey into Europe. We refer to this section as the Macedonian Call. This gives us a great opportunity to learn how we can discern God’s will for our own life.
There are certain things we can know and certain things we do not need to know.
God’s sovereign will – God’s eternal and ultimate plan for the universe…..it will happen.
- providence – circumstances we know after the fact.
God’s revealed will/moral will – What God has told us He wants us to do, the will we are called to obey.
- His word for us..His truth for us. – things we know before the fact
All that we need to know God has provided
2 Peter 1:1-4 – “All things pertaining to life and godliness.”
- We have been given all things
- It is found in a growing knowledge of Christ through His Word.
2 Tim. 3:16-17 – “all Scripture is given by God for…so that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
- To understand His will is to understand His Word.
- To believe it, read it, study it, meditate upon it, to live it out.
The key is not trying to figure out the unknown, but trusting and joyfully living in the known
Matt. 7:21 – “Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does THE WILL OF THE FATHER in heaven.
- To do His will is what God is pleased with.
1 Thess. 4:1-4 – “This is THE WILL OF GOD, your sanctification.
- His will is for our life to be holy, set apart, different than the World.
- This is only possible as we embrace the Cross and receive the forgiveness for OUR sin. ALL WE NEED IS FOUND AT THE CROSS!
- Our sanctification takes place as we are saved and our sanctification continues as we progressively live a holy life unto the Lord.
Rom. 12:1-2 – “be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and PERFECT WILL OF GOD.”
- As we live with our minds focused on Him and His Word….then we will discern His will for our life. His will is our obedience to His Word.
1 John 2:17 – “And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does THE WILL OF GOD abides forever.”
Here is a good process to help discern His will for our life in a particular situation
Scripture, Scripture, Scripture – What has God already said about the situation. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF DISCERNING GOD’S WILL FOR OUR LIFE!!!!!!!
Prayer, Prayer, Prayer – Seek Him constantly over the particular decision
The Church / Wise Counsel – Prov. 11:14, 12:15, 15:22, 27:17 – We do not go to others for their opinion, but for their assistance in biblical truth. The key is having people that we can trust who love the Lord, His Word, and His Church. God has placed us in a church FULL of believers for a reason. Lean on them and listen to them.
Circumstances – What is taking place in your life. Not necessarily an “opened door”…but a biblical opportunity. Where does God have you now. What do you enjoy doing? How can God utilize the situation for His glory?
Sound Biblical Reason – How logical is what you are seeking to do? With God all things are possible, but usually we try to over spiritualize the decisions we make. Does what you are seekngi to do really make sense?