My sermon notes for Sunday morning, May 22nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 9:1-18
- Paul is addressing Christian liberties and rights
- What we can do / What we should do
- The encouragement is to keep one’s interest not on oneself, but rather on the Gospel
- All for the sake of the Gospel
- Giving up “our rights” for the sake of the Gospel
Paul’s Rights and Privileges – vv. 1-12a
The rights that Paul possessed as an apostle
- He had seen Christ – Acts 9:1-19 – Road to Damascus
- He was sent by Christ
Paul was justified in having the church support his ministry
- Because of His calling
- Because of his ministry
- He knew his position was not as important as his purpose
- He was part of something much greater than himself
Paul’s Lessons in Forgoing His Rights – vv. 12b-18
Endure all things for the Gospel– v. 12
- Endurance – keeping on when things are not the best
- Key is how we respond to the things of life
- He did not want to put an obstacle in the way of the Gospel
Boast only in the Gospel – v. 15
- What did he have to boast in?
- Him nothing… The Gospel everything.
- Boast… found joy
- Romans 15:17 – In Christ Jesus he was proud of his work
- Paul would not boast in his ministry but in the Gospel of his ministry.
Steward the Gospel – v. 17
- Steward God’s resources
- He was not REWARDED… as if he had done something
- We forgotten about GRACE
- A biblical understanding of salvation is key.
- Rather, he was a steward (managed what was given)
- Our gifts
- Times, Talents, Treasures
- Our Purpose and Passion
- Colossians 1:24-27
Preach the Gospel – v. 16
- Woe is me if I do not preach the Gospel
- Preach, Teach, Proclaim (church and beyond)
- Salvation and Sanctification
- Listen to, Trust in, Live out
- How easy is it for us to think highly of ourselves? (I see it at times in ministry)
- What we are entitled to may not be what is best… we may need to forgo our rights for the sake of the Gospel.
- What if our greatest desire was for the Gospel to be proclaimed through our life?