My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 3rd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 10:23–11:1
- Previously – 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 on May 8th
- Then… meat sacrificed to idols
- Now… the freedoms we have as Christians
- How much freedom/Christian liberties do I have as Christian?
- Legalisms – I have rules I must follow
- License – I can do anything
- What are we free to do?
- I think we can ask ourselves a few questions to get to the right outcome.
- What can I do?
- What should I do?
- Why am I doing it? (this helps us with the should)
- How will it impact others? (this helps us with the should)
What can I do?
All things are lawful for me…v. 22a
- Obviously, Scripture is the absolute in our decision making.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- 2 Peter 1:3-4; 10
- We should never go against what Scripture teaches.
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Our liberties are the decisions in the “gray” area…. where Scripture does not speak.
What should I do?
But not all things are helpful… not all things build up. v. 23
Remember, the thing we are “doing” is seen by others. This is not just a personal decision between me and the Lord. It is a decision that has public consequences.
You can, but should you?
- Is it helpful (profitable)?
- Does it buildup (edify)?
- Will it build up?
- Will it tear down?
Think about the impact it will have on you and on others.
- At the end of the day, what is the benefit.
- I ask myself this more as I have gotten a little older
v. 24 – Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.
Two other questions that help with the SHOULD…
Why am I doing it?
The passion behind our decisions … the reason we do what we do
For Me or Others
- My neighbor – v. 24
- The glory of God – v. 31
- Sermon on June 12 covered this specific scripture
- Those who do not know Christ – v. 33
What if we changed our WHY?????
- Our life (purpose, passion) would change for all eternity.
- Most of our why is self… rather than others.
- Even with our liberties… we become self-serving and flaunt our freedoms in Christ.
- We focus on our life, future, peace, and happiness
How will it impact others?
Build up others – v. 23
That they might be saved – v. 33
vv. 32-33 – Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. 11-:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
Not seeking my own advantage
- Just as Christ lived
Imitate me as I imitate Christ
- What if we all lived in this way
- I follow who is in front… ultimately Jesus
- Example, after Example, after Example