1 Corinthians 13:8-13 – Love never ends
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Sept 11th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- Agape Love… love in action
- Paul is painting a portrait of love, and Jesus Christ is sitting for the portrait. He lived out in perfection all of these virtues of love. This beautiful picture of love is a portrait of Him. (John MacArthur- 1 Corinthians Commentary)
- Remember the context. Spiritual gifts within the life of the church
- Our relationship with others is a direct reflection of our relationship with God.
- The unified Church focuses on the eternal not the temporal
- What will be standing at the end
- Consider the Constant, the Passing and live faithfully as we Wait.
Love is eternal – v. 8a
- Love never ends
- God’s Love for us
- Our love for God
- Our love for one another
- Falls. Fails to make the cut
- Love does not fail because
- Bears, Believes, Hopes, Endures ALL THINGS
The gifts will cease/pass away – vv. 8b-10
- Prophecies, Knowledge, Tongues
- Those that had been causing the most controversy
- Remember, the context of this passage…. UNITY IN THE CHURCH
- Not carry over into the next.
- No longer needed
- YET… Love will carry over from this age into the fullness of the age to come
- Jeremiah 31:34
The joy is living in the now as we await the future – vv. 11-13
- We know and prophesy in part
- We are limited
- Paul was including himself (even the apostle)
- We are influenced and tainted by sin
When the perfect comes, then the partial will pass away
- The Lord’s victorious return
- All things will be complete
Moving Toward Maturity
- Child – Adult
- Mirror – Face to Face
- Partial – Full
The concluding statement -v. 13
- Faith – Trusting God in what we cannot see.
- Hope – Expecting God to do what He has promised.
- (In Glory we will SEE HIM and BE WITH HIM)
Already, and Not Yet (How to Live in the Last Days)
David Briones – http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/already-not-yet
- already adopted in Christ (Romans 8:15), but not yet adopted (Romans 8:23);
- already redeemed in Christ (Ephesians 1:7), but not yet redeemed (Ephesians 4:30);
- already sanctified in Christ (1 Corinthians 1:2), but not yet sanctified (1 Thessalonians 5:23–24);
- already saved in Christ (Ephesians 2:8), but not yet saved (Romans 5:9);
- already raised with Christ (Ephesians 2:6), but not yet raised (1 Corinthians 15:52).
1 Corinthians 12:11-31 – We are the Body
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 14th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- The importance of the gifts in relationship to the church
- We are gifted to be PART OF THE BODY
- To be part of the church is to be part of the BODY OF CHRIST
- Not focusing on the gifts but the purpose of them.
- The purpose of the gifts. glorify God and build up the body… the local church is key to this being lived out
We are One Body – vv. 12-13
For as the body is one… many parts – All the members… one body – v. 12
- Human body
- Very complex, but one
Baptized into the body – Drink from one Spirit – v. 13
- Spiritual… SUPERNATURAL
- OUR CONVERSION
- Same Spirit saves
- Same Spirit fills
- All have… the same
Jews Greeks. Slaves and Free – v. 13
- Across the spectrum of society
- Everyone and anyone
We are Many Members – vv. 14-20
Not one… but many – v. 14
- Not individual but corporate
- Our serving our singing… everything.
God arranged the members – v. 18
Each one as He chose – v. 18
Many parts, yet one body – v. 20
- Our Church body… our human body
- The Church, THE CHURCH
We are Dependent on One Another – vv. 21-31
Cannot say I have no need of you – v.21
- Our value. Importance
- The necessity of every member of the body
God composed the body – v.24
- Mix together, intermingle, temper together
No division in the body – v.25
- All together
- Same reason, purpose, goals, and vision (Macro and Micro)
- SO THAT… Members have the same care for one another
God has appointed – v.28
These verses teach us the importance of the local church
- SO important to be part
- Unique (the individual people), yet special (Christ’s Church)
Church is not about just finding a place to “worship”
- Just attending for the worship (singing and preaching)
- It is about becoming a “member of the body”
God saves us and places us
- We are saved to serve within a church
- This is God’s ordained plan
Using our gifts is much bigger than just holding a church position or checking a box on a spiritual gift survey
- The Christian life is about serving one another from natural out flow of a spirt-filled life
- Doing church life together
- Start small then work out
- one on one, one on some, one on many
- Evangelism, Discipleship, Encouragement, and Care
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 7th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 12:8–11
- This section expands further v. 4 – The variety of gifts.
- Romans 12:6-8; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; 1 Corinthians 12:28; Ephesians 4:11
- Varieties – “allotments, distributions.
- Distributed in many forms
- There are a variety of gifts and ministries…yet a common reason
- Glorify God and Build up the Church
- v. 7 – To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
The Gifts of the Spirit – Thomas Schreiner
Chart of Spiritual Gifts
Spiritual Gifts lists – A helpful (very basic) article
EACH BELIEVER IS GIFTED – v. 8a
FOR TO ONE IS GIVEN.
- Each born again believer
- The context… within the body of Christ
- Gifts are given to every believer upon conversion. (Filled & Gifted by the Spirit)
- Gifts flow out of a faithful walk with the Lord (Obedient, Serving)
- Gifts are discerned and developed through service and use.
Finding your Gifts
- What do you enjoy doing? (Your passions)
- What have you seen God bless?
- What opportunities have you been given?
They are supernaturally given by the Spirit (given and empowered)
- According to
- By the same
GOD HAS ORDAINED A VARIETY OF GIFTS – v. 8b-10
Focus is VARIETIES… not the gifts themselves.
- We either ignore or are infatuated on them
Category of Gifts
- Permanent – Temporary (Sign Gifts)
- Speaking – Serving (1 Peter 4:10-11)
- The lists are not exhaustive
- Do not over think it… “trying to find our particular gift”
- I hold fast to the temporary and permanent due to my understanding of the truthfulness and sufficiency of God’s Word.
- Allow Scripture to dictate the usage of gifts.
I believe the following speaking gifts were temporary (for the early Church), even though we can see how the characteristics of some these gifts are part of church life today.
- Utterance of wisdom
- Utterance of knowledge
- Ability to distinguish between spirits
- All believers have saving faith
- The gift of a deep trust in the promises of God
- A strong confidence in God
- Stands strong… brings together the body… BOLD FAITH
Temporary Sign Gifts
- Gifts of healing (biblical healings…not tv preachers)
- Working of miracles (Supernatural miracles)
- Tongues (Chap 14)
- Interpretation of tongues (Chap 14)
GOD IS THE FOCUS OF OUR GIFTS (not us or the gift)– v. 11
All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills
AS HE WILLS! For HIS GLORY AND FOR OUR GOOD!
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 31st. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- Now concerning Spiritual gifts. v. 1
- The source of our gifts
- The power of our gifts
- The purpose of our gifts
- The results of our gifts
- Key words: Diversity, Unity, and Maturity
- Varieties – “allotments, distributions.
- Distributed in many forms
- There are a variety of gifts and ministries…yet one reason we are given these gifts.
- Glorify God and Build up His Church
GOD GIVES UNIQUE GIFTS TO EACH BELIEVER
Gifts – “gift of grace”
- Gifted to equip
- Gifted from God to build up others
List of Spiritual Gifts – 1 Cor. 12:8-10, Romans 12:6-8, 1 Peter 4:11
- Not meant to be an exhaustive list
- 1 Peter 4: 11 – “Speaking and Serving” are the 2 main categories
- Gifts are like a fingerprint… each one is different
- Each gift/person is unique
THESE GIFTS ENABLE US TO SERVE/MINISTER
Service – ministries, servants
- The doing of the Christian life
- The doing of the Church
- Gifts are the tools of ministry
We are gifted SO THAT we can change the world with Gospel. OUR PURPOSE!
- within the body of Christ. THE CHURCH
- and IMPACT THE WORLD.
- The basis of our everyday life
Mark 10:45 – JESUS… Not to be served, but to serve.
- Christian life is not about receiving
- It is about giving
- I am with you
- v. 6 – but the same Lord
EACH GIFT ACCOMPLISHES ITS DIVINE PURPOSE
Activities – “worked out, energized”
- The impact/results of using the gifts
- Gifts are given supernaturally and they are empowered supernaturally.
God empowers them ALL in EVERYONE
- God sovereignly empowers each one.
- God sovereignly empowers the results of these gifts
The emphasis on the Trinity
- Different gifts, service, and activities but it is God that is doing and causing the work
- Philippians 2:12–13 –  Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,  for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (ESV)
- The gifts are from God
- The administering the gifts are from God
- The energy and power to use the gifts are from God
- The impact of the gifts is from God
Manifestation of the Spirit
- Make known, clear, evident
- SHOWING THE SPIRIT
For the common good
- Bring together
- Mutually beneficial
Ephesians 4:10–12 –  He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)  And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,  to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, (ESV)
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 24th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 12:1–3
No one can doubt that God is still in the MIRACLE business. The question for us today is what role the Miraculous Gifts have in the church today.
Two major schools of thought in regard to the miraculous gifts in the church today.
- God continues to give miraculous spiritual gifts to the church
- God has ceased to give miraculous spiritual gifts to the church
As with most things:
- People within the church have different views
- People camp out in the extremes
- Bible believing Christians can have a difference of opinion.
Where I have problems within the continuationism movement:
- Teaching that a person must speak in tongues to be a spirit-filled Christian.
- Worship that is not orderly 14:26-40
- It is God’s will for people to be wealthy, healthy, and prosperous.
- Leans more to experience and emotion.
- Scripture plus my I have experienced.
Today is an introductory sermon as we consider the next several passages. We will utilize these 3 verses to lay a foundation for us to build upon.
Believers can be saved yet live unwisely
- Now concerning spiritual gifts, brother
- They may have not been acting properly, but he considered them believers.
- We need to take our “living” the Christian life very seriously.
- Daily growing and changing… MATURING
Believers need to consider what they believe
I do not want you to be uniformed
We are indwelt with the Spirit at conversion
- Romans 5:1-5
- Romans 8:1-9
- 1 Cor. 3:16
We are filled with the Spirit as we mature in our spiritual life
- Yield to what is there
- Not a new work
- Ephesians 5:18
Believers should pursue truth
When you were pagans
Test the Spirits
- 1 Thess 5:16-22
- 1 John 4:1
- Rev. 2:1-2
One of the issues I see today is “self-authenticating”
- I know what I have experienced
- Emotions and Experiences rule the day
- My feelings over facts, truth, the Bible
The Truth is crucial
- Acknowledgement of Jesus Christ
- Truth of the Gospel
- NOT JUST JESUS, BUT THE BIBLICAL JESUS
- ALL OF SCRIPTURE
NO ONE CAN SAY – JESUS IS LORD
Apart from the Spirts work… We are dead in our trespasses and sin. People do what they do because of who they are and who they follow. It is only by the Spirit of God that our minds and hearts are transformed.
- Knowing Him
- Growing in the Spirit
- Our sanctification.
- Word, Prayer, Worship, Sharing, Serving