My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 7th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 12:8–11
- This section expands further v. 4 – The variety of gifts.
- Romans 12:6-8; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; 1 Corinthians 12:28; Ephesians 4:11
- Varieties – “allotments, distributions.
- Distributed in many forms
- There are a variety of gifts and ministries…yet a common reason
- Glorify God and Build up the Church
- v. 7 – To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
- Make disciples
The Gifts of the Spirit – Thomas Schreiner
Chart of Spiritual Gifts
Spiritual Gifts lists – A helpful (very basic) article
EACH BELIEVER IS GIFTED – v. 8a
FOR TO ONE IS GIVEN.
- Each born again believer
- The context… within the body of Christ
- Gifts are given to every believer upon conversion. (Filled & Gifted by the Spirit)
- Gifts flow out of a faithful walk with the Lord (Obedient, Serving)
- Gifts are discerned and developed through service and use.
Finding your Gifts
- What do you enjoy doing? (Your passions)
- What have you seen God bless?
- What opportunities have you been given?
They are supernaturally given by the Spirit (given and empowered)
- According to
- By the same
GOD HAS ORDAINED A VARIETY OF GIFTS – v. 8b-10
Focus is VARIETIES… not the gifts themselves.
- We either ignore or are infatuated on them
Category of Gifts
- Permanent – Temporary (Sign Gifts)
- Speaking – Serving (1 Peter 4:10-11)
- The lists are not exhaustive
- Do not over think it… “trying to find our particular gift”
- I hold fast to the temporary and permanent due to my understanding of the truthfulness and sufficiency of God’s Word.
- Allow Scripture to dictate the usage of gifts.
I believe the following speaking gifts were temporary (for the early Church), even though we can see how the characteristics of some these gifts are part of church life today.
- Utterance of wisdom
- Utterance of knowledge
- Ability to distinguish between spirits
- All believers have saving faith
- The gift of a deep trust in the promises of God
- A strong confidence in God
- Stands strong… brings together the body… BOLD FAITH
Temporary Sign Gifts
- Gifts of healing (biblical healings…not tv preachers)
- Working of miracles (Supernatural miracles)
- Tongues (Chap 14)
- Interpretation of tongues (Chap 14)
GOD IS THE FOCUS OF OUR GIFTS (not us or the gift)– v. 11
All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills
AS HE WILLS! For HIS GLORY AND FOR OUR GOOD!