Tabernacle Deacon Ministry
In accordance with the meaning of the word and the practice in the New Testament, deacons are to be servants of the church. While all believers are called to be servants, we also believe there is a specific office in the church fulfilled by deacons.
What should deacons do – Acts 6:1-7
- Serve the physical and fiscal needs of the church.
- Protect the unity of the church
- Support the work of the leadership of the church (elder/pastor).
Qualifications – 1 Timothy 3:8-12
Dignified – v. 8
Not double-tongued – Not hypocritical, but honest and consistent with their speech – v. 8
No addicted to much wine – Not having a reputation as a drinker – v. 8
Not greedy for dishonest gain – v. 8
Holds the mysteries of the faith with a clear conscience – Doctrinally sound – v. 9
Husbands of one wife –Faithful in their marriage – v. 12
Managing their children and their households well – v. 12
Their wives must be dignified, not slanders, but sober-minded, faithful in all things – v. 11
Faithful in their membership
- They need to be active members for at least one year and supporting the church with their time, talents, and treasures.
Faithful in their character
- Living out Godly traits in their home, church, and community.
Faithful in their attendance
- Consistency at all services of the church.
Faithful in their service
- Already involved in the ministries of the church.
Faithful in their doctrine
- Grounded in truth, yet humble, teachable, and growing.
Faithful in their witness
- Active in living out and sharing the Gospel.
Faithful in their ministry
- Men that are disciple makers.