1 Corinthians 13:1–3
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 21st. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- The greatness/importance of love
- The love chapter…. Not just for people/weddings… FOR THE CHURCH
- Chapters 12-14 flow together as one literary unit
- The importance of the church and their gifts
- How we function (serve and minister) within the body
- GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE
- Our gifts are nothing is they are not used in love.
The Meaning of Love
Love – Agape
- personal and enduring love
- love toward others – Giving love
The Preeminence/Superiority of Love
Have not love
- Not acting with love
Regardless of how IMPRESSIVE/SPECIAL/SUCCESSFUL we think we are
- In our Speech – Noisy gong, clanging symbol
- In our Gifts – I am nothing (not even one)
- In our Sacrifice – I gain nothing (profit, benefit)
These – love = Nothing
Ephesians 4:15 -16  Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ,  from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.
- Love – Working properly
- Love – Maturity/Maturing
- Love – Builds itself up
1 Thess. 4:9 –  Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another,  for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more,  and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you,  so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one. (ESV)
- Our Mind – Our Doctrine
- Our Hands – Our Service/Ministry
- Our Heart – Our Devotion, Passion (LOVE)
CONCLUSION (THE WHAT NOW)
Consider the work of God (the Trinity) in our Conversion and our Sanctification.
1 John 4:19 – FATHER – We love because he first loved us. (ESV)
John 13:34–35 – SON – A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (ESV)
Romans 5:5 – SPIRIT– and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (ESV)
We can only LOVE when we have been born again.
- KNOWING the GOSPEL, TRUSTING IN Him
- GROWING in GOSPEL, FOLLOWING HIM
- GOING to live out the GOSPEL (living out LOVE)
- Love he has for us
- Love we have for Him
- Love we have for others