My sermon notes for Sunday morning, June 5th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
- Remember, Chapter 8-10. Forsaking our rights for the spread of the Gospel
- Christian freedom and liberties
- Running the race… facing disqualification or finishing faithful
1 Cor. 9:24-27 – Paul is comparing the Christian life as running and finishing a race.
- It is started and finished
- Crossing the finish line or disqualified
- Finishing faithful
Do Not Take Grace for Granted– vv.1-5
1 Cor. 10:1 – For I do not want you to be unaware brothers….PAY ATTENTION. LISTEN, BELIEVE, and DO.
Obedience or Disobedience
- Following Jesus or not
- There is not gray area with following Christ.
Blessings and curses
- Deut. 7:9-11 – God is faithful and loving
- Deut 28:2 – Blessings
- Deut 28:15 – Curses
PEOPLE MAKE CHOICES AND CHOICES MAKE PEOPLE
- Hebrews 12:5-11
Take Sin Seriously – vv. 6-12
- Finding one’s purpose and meaning in life on God.
- Who we are and whose we are.
- Stop trying to make God into the image of what we want.
- Anything outside God’s design form a man and woman in marriage.
Testing the Lord
- Numbers 21:4-9
- Never satisfied
- Not our pleasing God, but God pleasing us
Complaining about life
- Questioning His goodness, wisdom, & sovereignty.
- We say He is God, but do we live that way.
The are examples but also for our instruction – v. 11
Therefore, TAKE HEED LEST WE FALL – v. 12
- Stand then fall
- The danger of self-confidence and pride
- We should put our confidence not in us, but in who we are in Christ.
- We should not live in a debilitating fear, but a respectful fear
Trust in God’s Faithfulness – v. 13
How can we possibility do it? How can we keep from falling into idolatry in our hearts? How can we live righteous lives with so much wickedness around us?
Remember the promises of the Lord. Trust in Him. Rest in His provision. Respond to temptation biblically.
No temptation – to test or prove.
- Jesus was tempted – Matt. 4:1
- Job was tempted – Job 1:8
- God will never tempt us to sin. James 1:13
- Trials… experiences of life (God)
- Temptations… leading to sin (Devil)
Has overtaken you
- It is not irresistible
That is not common to man
- that which belongs to mankind.
- Nothing new or unique to me.
God is faithful
- Keep our focus on Him
- God is bigger than the boogey man!
- He is either God or not!
He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability
- WE DO NOT HAVE TO FALL INTO SIN.
- The times may be tough, but we do not have to fall into a sinful action.
But with temptation will provide the way of escape
- Not from it but through it
That you may be able to endure it
- Grow through it and from it
- He will not put us in a situation we cannot endure
- Keep praying
- Keep trusting
- Keep learning
- Keep Growing
- Keep following Jesus