1 Corinthians 9:19-27
My sermon notes for Sunday morning, May 29th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- In vv. 1-18 Paul discusses his willingness to let go of his rights and privileges for the sake and good of the Gospel.
- In vv. 19-27 he demonstrates how he lives this life out.
- Verse 19 makes the charge and vv. 20-27 shows us how to accomplish it.
v. 19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them
- We are free
- Yet we have made ourselves servants
- So that I might win the more (impact & influence)
Romans 6:18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.
Consider the spiritual needs of others – vv. 20-22
1 Cor. 9:20-22
I must be willing to be in the world but not in it
I must be willing to build relationships so that I can share the Gospel.
Never compromising truth – keeping my motives pure
- in order to share the Gospel.
- What is my goal…FOR THEM TO LIVE MORE LIKE CHRIST…RATHER THAN ME LIVE MORE LIKE THEM.
Jews, Gentiles, and the weak…that covers everyone
Focus on the Gospel – v 23
1 Cor. 9:23
I do it all for the sake of the gospel – v. 23a
The communicating of the Gospel
- We tell others the Good News
- Not merely a
- Looking for a decision
The truth of the Gospel
- We must never cut corners in the message
- We do not save… GOD DOES.
- Truly doubt we can talk someone into it or out of it
- MAKE THE GOSPEL A BIG DEAL
- We are guilty of watering down the Gospel
- What is “True Saving Faith”
that I may share with them in its blessings – v. 23b
The sharing in the blessings
- The seeing of someone coming to faith is Christ
- Becoming a brother and sister in Christ with someone
- Coming alongside them and seeing them grow
Start with the end in mind – vv. 24-27
1 Cor. 9:24-27
Run the race – Go make disciples. THIS IS OUR PURPOSE
STARTING AND FINISHING
- We seem to start well, but how is our finishing
- Are we worshiping, Serving, Investing in such a way that people are coming to faith in Christ and growing in Christ
AS A CHURCH AND AS AN INDIVIDUAL
ME AND TAB
- Where I have been. The Start
- When I am – Now
- Where I am going – The future
Self-control – v. 25
- Controlling my passions and desires
- Living in holiness
- Previous verses… denying my rights.
Live with purpose – v. 26
- Running aimlessly
- My walk with Christ
- My hope in the Gospel
- My ministry to “make disciples”
- Deny self
- Consider others
Discipline your body – v. 27
- My life is dedicated to finish faithful.
- Effort … work.
- Ongoing… this is a good thing.
- Eph. 2:8 – Created for good works.
- 1 Tim. 4:7 – Train/Discipline yourself for the purpose of Godliness.”
SO THAT I WILL NOT BE DISQUALIFIED
- Damaging our witness, hindering our ability to serve the Lord. SIN ALWAYS COMES WITH A COST