My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 22nd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tbcmacon We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at TBC YouTube
1 Timothy 4:1-10
- The church in Ephesus is in danger of falling away from the faith. (true then and true now)
- Remember last week… We either strive or drift.
- Culturally then and now the issue was people drifting from the things of God to the things of the world.
- FROM WHAT IS RIGHT TO WHAT IS NOT RIGHT.
- THEREFORE, it is crucial to understand that it IS OK AND NECESSARY to recognize there is something to STAND FOR.
- Absolute Truth.
- The truth of God’s Word. The truth of the Gospel. GOD IS PERFECT, HOLY, and everything He does IS RIGHT. He is not the AUTHOR OF CONFUSION.
- WE MUST KNOW WHAT OUR FAITH IS BASED UPON
- WE MUST KNOW WHAT WE BELIEVE AND WHY YOU BELIEVE IT
- What we believe impacts greatly how we live.
- The goal is not UNITY AT ALL COST, but TRUTH AT ALL COSTS
- To be people that speak the truth in love
THE WARNING – The Reason this is important
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons
- Depart from the faith
- The Gospel
- The Word
- The TRUTH
- Demonic origins. Satan is the father of lies.
OUR DOCTRINE… WE MUST MAKE IT A PRIORITY IN OUR LIFE
6 If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed
Put these things before the brothers
- The believers within the church
You will be a good minister
- Fulling the call to lead the church (WHY YOU ARE THERE TIMOTHY)
Trained in the Words of the faith of the good doctrine
- Words of Christ. THE WORDS OF REDEMPTION
- OT, NT, GOSPEL. All of God’s Words
- Doctrine didaskalia
- Teaching, instruction
- Beliefs. THAT WHICH IS TAUGHT
OUR DOCTRINE… WE MUST DARE TO LIVE DIFFERENT
7a Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths.;
- Recognize it, Call it what it is, and Stay away from it
Life is too short and the task too serious to waste time with the things that are not from the Lord.
OUR DOCTRINE… WE MUST MAKE IT OUR LIFE WORK
7b Rather train yourself for godliness; 8 for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 9 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. 10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.
Train, Toil, and Strive
It takes Perspective
- Discipline, Toil, Strive – Effort, Energy, Emotion
It takes Persistence
- Continuous, lifelong
It takes Passion and Purpose
- We do because we WANT TO
- THIS IS WHO WE ARE. Our Purpose… making disciples!
- Because our Hope is set on the living God.
- Savior of all people.
- Not universal salvation… this would be clearly against the teaching of Scripture
- Rather, through the Gospel (repentance and faith) salvation is possible.
- All people who believe
Pastor Jon’s Personal Convictions
I love theology and the study of God’s Word. I consider myself a biblical, conservative, evangelical and missional theologian. I am reformed in my thinking and passionate about evangelism and fulfilling the Great Commission.
The following truths drive my life and my ministry.
- The greatness of God above all things.
- The sufficiency of Scripture pertaining to all matters of faith and life.
- The Lordship of Jesus Christ over all creation.
- The power of the Gospel to changes lives.
- The importance of the local Church in expanding the Kingdom of God.
- The imperative from Christ for His followers to go and fulfill the Great Commission.
I adhere to the Baptist Faith and Message and strive to let the pastoral ministry of Charles Spurgeon be a great example to follow. (He was a preacher, theologian, pastor, evangelist, and disciple-maker)
Who is Charles Haddon Spurgeon – The Spurgeon Center at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Our Doctrinal Statement at Tabernacle Baptist Church
The Baptist Faith and Message – https://bfm.sbc.net/