- The impact of Jesus and the Gospel
- Rejected in His hometown
- Then he encounters the Demonic, Leper, Paralytic, TAX COLLECTOR
- All were viewed in a negative light
- All received God’s favor and grace
- A wonderful picture of how the Gospel changes lives
- A wonderful picture of the call to follow Jesus
- Levi and Sinner. Jesus the Savior… A Changed life
Levi was just living life as normal
Levi –Matthew (Matthew 9:9)
- Tax collector (hated, despised, low of the low)
- His calling, his life.
- Doing all he knew to do
Then came Jesus
Levi was in the midst of everyday life. We have no idea what he was thinking or his inner disposition. All we know is Jesus showed up. This is exactly what happened in our life. One minute we are lost and the next minute we hear…FOLLOW ME. IT WAS REAL AND PERSONAL.
Doctrine of election
The call to those that come. Matthew 22:14, Romans 8:30
Repentance and Faith
Life change was immediate
Toward Christ (His devotion and worship)
His acknowledgement and worship of the Lord
- And leaving everything, he rose and followed him
- LEFT (self) – FOLLOWED (Christ)
- Prepared a great feast in his house
- Notice the joy
- Acknowledging His Lordship (what He had done for him)
- HE GAVE HIM HIS BEST. THIS IS WORSHIP
As J.C. Ryle said, nothing can happen to a man which ought to be such an occasion of joy, as his conversion. It is a far more important event than being married, or coming of age, or being made a nobleman, or receiving a great fortune. It is the birth of an immortal soul! It is the rescue of a sinner from hell! It is a passage from death to life! It is being made a king and priest forevermore! It is being provided for, both in time and eternity! It is adoption into the noblest and richest of all families, the family of God!Philip Graham Ryken, Luke, ed. Richard D. Phillips, Philip Graham Ryken, and Daniel M. Doriani, vol. 1, Reformed Expository Commentary (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2009), 230–231.
Toward Others (His burden and witness)
there was a large company of tax collectors and others
- Utilizing his influence and network
- Big crowd
- Probably indicates that they were listening to Jesus teach
- Eager to LEARN MORE. GROWING!!!!!!
- Levi is already living the D-LIFE.
Remember, the world is opposed to the mission of Jesus
PEOPLE NEED THE GOSPEL. They are lost and dead in their trespasses and sin.
Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?
- Jesus’ association with those of the world
- Having a heart for ministry. OTHERS
- Building, Sharing, Inviting, Bringing, Discipling
- HELPING OTHERS FOLLOW JESUS
- UTILIZING OUR GOD GIVEN GIFTS AND TALENTS TO HELP OTHERS BECOME FOLLOWERS OF JESUS
I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.
- They thought they were. We need nothing. All we need is within us.
- I need help. Me nothing and Jesus everything.