Q & A with Pastor Jon is a teaching time utilized to answer questions that I have been asked over the course of my ministry. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
Are there any errors in the Bible?
Can I really understand the Bible?
Is the Bible enough for knowing what God wants us to think or do?
- A couple of weeks were considered the TRUSTING of God’s Word. Tonight, I want us to continue that study.
- A major source of info for this study was Wayne Grudem Systematic Theology. Go to pastorjonbeck.com – Reading List and Bookstore
The clarity of God’s Word
We can understand the Bible.
Deut. 6:6-7 – “teach them, talk of them.”
Psalm 19:7 – “Making wise the simple”
Ps. 119:130 – “it imparts understanding to the simple”
- The simple person is one who lacks sound judgment and prone to making mistakes.
- God’s Word is so understandable, so clear, that even the simple are made wise by it.
- This is of great encouragement to all believers…we all can read, study, and understand the Word of God.
“The clarity of Scripture means that the Bible is written in such a way that its teachings are able to be understood by all who will read it seeking God’s help and being willing to follow it.” Wayne Grudem
The necessity of God’s Word
The Bible is necessary for salvation and spiritual growth.
- One must call upon the Lord to be saved
- One can only call upon Him if they believe in Him
- One cannot believe in Him unless they hear the Gospel
- One cannot hear the Gospel unless someone tells them
- Saving faith comes by an individual that has responded in faith to the proclamation of the Gospel.
The sufficiency of God’s Word
God has given us all we need to live an obedient life
“The Bible contains everything we need God to tell us for salvation, for trusting Him perfectly, and for obeying Him perfectly.” Wayne Grudem
- We need to search scripture for answers – What does God want us to know about doctrinal issues and life? Depending on the Bible for our answers not men and ministries.
- We are not to add to scripture – We are not to add anything to the Word of God nor are we to search for additional writings of equal value. (Example – The Book of Mormon)
- We are not to count outside guidance equal to scripture – An inner impression, peace, or feeling is never to be more authoritative than the Bible.
- We should remember that God has given us all He intended us to have in His Word – Deut. 29:29 – “the secret things belong to God.” We need to be content with what God has revealed of Himself and His ways. We too often look to the other sources for the life questions that we have. Be satisfied with what the Bible teaches about all of life and begin to live it out.