My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Oct 10th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube
Acts 2:47; Acts 6:1-7; Acts 9:31
- Think about the previous messages.
- The Greatness of God’s Word
- Importance of Sound Doctrine
- The Gospel – Believing in it and sharing it
- Our Relationship with God – Worshiping God
- Our Relationship with Others – Serving others
- Today…Church Growth.
- The typical question. How will we grow the church?
- The better question. How will HE grow HIS church?
Acts 2:42–47 –  And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.  And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles.  And all who believed were together and had all things in common.  And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.  And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,  praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
- Devotion to the Word
- Fellowship within the body
- Common purpose & unity
- Worshiping the Lord
- Found favor with all people
- The Lord added day by day
Acts 6:1–7 –  Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution.  And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables.  Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty.  But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”  And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch.  These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them.
 And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith. (ESV)
- Set in order their structure and leadership for ministry.
- Serving one another was of great importance
- Prioritized the preaching of the Word and prayer
- The Word increased & spread
- Disciples grew
- People were converted.
Acts 9:31 – So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.
- Persecution led to purpose
- A Church of peace and purpose
- Walking in fear
- Walking in the comfort of Spirit
- It multiplied
God’s Strategy for Tabernacle
Keep the Word Central
- Keep the Gospel the Gospel
- Never compromise the truth of Scripture
- Proclaim the Word. Minister the Word
- Believe it, Trust in it, and Proclaim it – LIVE IT OUT
- Let the Word dictate all we do as HIS CHURCH
- 9 Marks of a Healthy Church – https://www.9marks.org/about/the-nine-marks/
People will change
- Do not expect anything but biblical change
- The Lord will add
- The power of the Gospel – Rom. 1:16
Belonging to the church body is crucial
- The body was marked by peace
- The body loved and cared for one another
- The body walked in fear
- The body was growing spiritually
- The body was sending out
God is still on His throne
- Remember… GOD IS All powerful, All wise, and All loving God
- He will prevail mightily
- Therefore, we can be bold and confident
- The key is staying true to His Plan (not ours)
Join God in what He is doing
- Invest – In people, In your community
- Influence – Share the truth of the Gospel. Bible Truth
- Invite – To know Christ. To be part of the Church Body/Family.